Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hello.

One day you sit down and love writing about what you are getting done, the next day it seems to be a hassle. For the past little bit it has been more of a hassle than anything else due to other obligations I have deemed more important, but nonetheless I still want to keep this up because it has helped a ton.

I got some part time work basically doing the front end design of a website for a management and consulting firm. The head of the firm is someone I have worked with before, and after reading this blog he asked if I could write the copy for his website seeing as I understand accounting and financially related vocabulary. It has definitely been a learning experience. I know the message I want to convey, I know all the information, but when you are writing something that is so important for the business and is fairly permanent, you need to really make sure that nothing is misconstrued. I have said many things on here that have been misunderstood, and its okay with me, but that can't happen in a professional setting. So, after many revisions and communicating back and forth between the firm and the web designers, I'm finally about to see the finished product. I have definitely learned a ton while doing this.

Charlie bites my fingers.
One of the biggest things I have had to deal with lately is managing my time. I'm still working in the restaurant, caddying, and playing in bands, so I have had to get things done before or after all of these lovely events. I have taken on a role as a sort of manager in the restaurant, so when a neurotic employee decides they no longer want to work and they walk out in the middle of a Friday night, I am responsible for interviewing and hiring a new employee. I like it because I get to make sure the next employee is someone I think I could trust (to not walk out mid-shift), but it is more time consuming to filter through dozens of unbelievable resumes sent through Craigslist and then go through the interviewing process. (Some resumes are absolutely pure entertainment; there were some phenomenal typos.) I also bought my new best friend, Charlie. She has been about the best puppy I could possibly ask for and my friends have been pure angels helping me take care of her. Since I got her, I have almost found it easier to get work done. She is my favorite alarm clock I have ever had, I have to manage my time more efficiently around her very busy schedule, and I can hang out around the house watching her and getting work done simultaneously.

I have also been doing some graphic design work for a couple different people, so I have had my hands full. All of these things have required less going out, waking up earlier, and having more structure in my days. My 21 year old self may not have liked these things, but my 25 and a half year old self really does. Working at night has contributed to a complete lack of structure in my life because I don't have to do anything during the day before I work, but it has made me more unhappy. These random things are tough to get done, but I feel like they will really help me. And if they don't help me get a job, maybe they will just be my job...

No comments:

Post a Comment