Friday, February 10, 2012

Very Serious Post

From all I can tell, nothing ever stays the same. As soon as you think you have something figured out, you almost immediately find out that you in fact have no idea. This has been happening to me lately with unreal consistency with the continuance of this search.

Much of my motivation for this renewed job search followed a trip to New York; I hung out with friends and my sister and I was blown away with the lifestyle they live. The people I was around acted like adults and weren't solely concerned with hearing 'Wagon Wheel' played by the band in the bar that night--a lovely change in environment I had not experienced recently. For a multitude of reasons, I really wanted to get there. Somewhere along the way I realized that what I want is a job in marketing, not a city.

To say I am looking for a job in one city across the country would be extremely limiting, especially for someone with the experience (or lack thereof) I have. After speaking with many people and reflecting upon what is most important to me at this stage in my life, I realized that I can only focus on one thing at a time, and right now the most important thing is finding a job. I would love to move to New York and get an internship with an ultra successful ad agency to gain a ton of valuable experience, but unfortunately that is not financially possible (unless this lotto ticket in my pocket tells me otherwise.) So, I move forward with my continually evolving job hunt to better my chances of landing not just a job, but valuable experience in the career I desire.

The next step is focusing on getting that experience. Over the weekend I will be doing research on web design and thinking of ideas to promote a local business through social media. The sooner I can get something tangible (i.e. numbers/data) on my resume, the better chance I will have at landing an internship, part-time job, or full-time job. I will clearly continue to buy lotto tickets as well.

I'll leave the week on this note: the frustrations spawned by a job search are nearly overwhelming at times, but finding friends that are in the same situation currently or recently is a very comforting feeling. I'm not the only one out there doing this. I see my friend Emily Steimel (also on an epic quest for a career job) on occasion in social settings or when I am playing a gig, and we aren't super close friends by any means, but we've connected through speaking about these very frustrations we have in common. Luckily, at the end of the day, we've found that we are just people getting by, living one day at a time, and holding onto the thought that we will look back on this brief period of our lives fondly. One friend said it best in an inspirational message about the harrowing experience of the job search: "It's hard to figure out where we went wrong, but maybe we didn't at all. Maybe this is just how it's supposed to play out."

No comments:

Post a Comment