Monday, February 27, 2012

Back on the blog.

Sometimes I have wondered whether or not this blog is the best way to help myself find a job. Sometimes I have thought that I may be stepping on figurative toes through the use of sarcasm, humor, and unrelated topics. Does putting my thoughts about whom and what I see at the library really help portray exactly what I want my future employer to see? Is writing about my frustration created from this job search the best way to gain attraction or show value to possible employers? Do I really need to put a video of myself skateboarding?

I have not been posting the past little bit because I have been pondering these questions. After a substantial amount of thought, I have realized that these things are what I want my future employer to know about me: I am human; I am a real person; I do experience real emotions. If a company hires people strictly based on experience listed on a resume, then this blog is likely a little too "out there" for me to be hired . However, if a company hires people based upon who they are as a person, the skills they have, their ability to learn and their ability to work with others, then this blog is the perfect portrayal of who I am and what I have been doing to find a professional career.

I do get frustrated and I do get upset with failure, but I also feel like I have a lot to offer. Want to know what I have been thinking for the past few months? Start reading from the beginning. Anyone who reads a post here and a post there will in no way fully understand the point of this blog, but a thorough reading will give you insight to who I am and what I want to do. This blog has been working, and I am much farther along today than I was when I started out on this search. I have a resume I am very proud of, I have several cover letters that are far superior to what I was writing before, and most importantly I have made an unbelievable amount of contacts that have given me incredible advice about what I should be doing or who I should talk to. Without this blog, my progress would not be nearly as great. 

I am not a resume, a cover letter, or a college degree. There will always be someone out there who is better than you or me at any and everything we can possibly do. Because of this I decided to create this blog; I knew that it would take me forever to sit on a phone and call a thousand people and tell them I was looking for a job in the finance industry and to see if they had any contacts. So I started a website to reach a thousand people faster, and through this I figured out that I was better and more passionate about something. I created a story that attracts an audience, and people are attracted to stories. I realized very early on that if I could create and maintain an audience through the use of sarcasm, humor, and unrelated topics I would be able to reach more people and in turn make more contacts in marketing. Call me crazy, but isn't this just marketing?


No comments:

Post a Comment