Monday, January 9, 2012

Prestige Worldwide


I'm back on the grind this week after a tiring weekend of working. The average person is really busy in the middle of the week, but I get busy Thursday through Sunday. This job hunt is to break that trend into a million little pieces so I can truly enjoy the song by Loverboy, "Working for the Weekend" from the album so wonderfully titled, Get Lucky.

After last week, I felt pretty good about myself having really started this job search. I had some good ideas, got some solid work done on my resume and wrote what I believed to be some quality cover letters. Then reality set in this weekend; this is going to be a brutal and awful process (that I will look back on fondly of course, in due time.) I recalled all those jobs I applied for last week and thought about how I would handle the applications. Let's just say I don't feel to optimistic about my chances applying for a job online.

This has caused me to re-evaluate how I am going about this. I will not just get a job by applying for it. For starters, I don't think it helps that my name is Bubba. Close your eyes and imagine what a Bubba looks like and how he speaks. Since it is my name that I have gone by for approximately 25.5 years, I will not be changing that, but I can only imagine some New York resident perusing a plethora of applications and seeing the name Bubba, followed by some giggling. I hope this isn't the case, but unfortunately I deal with this on a near daily basis when I walk up to the tables I serve in the restaurant at which I work. I say, "Hello, my name is Bubba and I will be your server this evening," and then respond to laughter and/or inquiries about the origin of my name by explaining that no, I do not look or sound like a Bubba, but it is my name I go by and it was given to me by my parents. It has bothered me before, and on occasion, it bugs me to death, but this is the year of positivity, and I will overcome this minor speed bump by turning it into an advantage by portraying myself as a unique person with a unique name, not a bumbling oversized redneck.

So, today I took a slightly different route than last week. I applied for a couple jobs, then I did some research to find some people that work at those companies. I sent out some emails explaining my situation and basically asking for some help on getting my foot in the door. Getting a job in this world is going to take the efforts of myself, but also others that are willing to help. So, I need to do substantially more networking, even if it is with people I don't know. If they aren't willing to help, whatevs...at least I can say I tried. Hopefully people will sympathize with the position I am in. That's honestly my best bet; finding someone who is willing to help because they were also in a similar position.

One specific job I applied for today was for an Associate Digital Strategist position in an advertising agency in NY. I mean, if I'm not made for this position, I don't know what to think. One of the qualifications was "Strong Writer: humorous style, witty." Sweet fancy moses I would love to have that job. So I applied for it with an extremely original cover letter that hopefully portrays my skills and desire; my only hope is that it wasn't too lengthy. I also emailed someone on the contact page, stating the job I applied for and asking if there was anything else I can do. Hopefully my efforts don't go unnoticed.

I also responded to some emails from people I had asked for advice on getting jobs up in NY. The largest obstacle to getting a job up there is the massive continent sitting between us. The cost of removing that obstacle is something I am trying to figure out. As much as I never want to work in another restaurant ever again, maybe moving up there and getting a restaurant job would really help to get some interviews or something just because actually being there would have to naturally improve my chances.

What I really need is my own little Catalina Wine Mixer (see Step Brothers) in which I can just prove to people I can work and I can do a good job, even without the Strictly 80's Billy Joel cover band.

Sites and sounds from the weekend:

College children probably need to do a little growing up. My bird's eye view from the stage playing with a band gives me the perfect perspective to watch the happenings in a bar on a Friday night in downtown Charleston. I watched a clearly underage girl fall into a trash can, watched 3 guys come out of 1 bathroom stall (randomly guess what happened in there), and watched a little boy just throw his pint glass on the floor for no other reason than the fact that he was done with it and he was leaving the bar, leaving shattered glass directly in the entrance to the bar. I would write more about this, but it's probably funnier and more appropriate if I just leave it at that.

Also, I would like to personally thank Red Bull, 5 Hour Energy, and Green Tea for my survival. What am I surviving you may ask? Nothing life threatening of course, but the "job hunt in library to night of work to late night cover band gig to early morning caddie to repeat" does take its toll on this bod, and without these lovely creations, I would be a very tired almost-man (I'll consider myself a man when I have a job.)

Hopefully tomorrow is another productive day, with ideas very outside of the box, and more networking. Bubbafindsajob.blogspot.com worldwide, all over the interweb, 2012.

The picture for today is my command center. Typically doesn't have feet up on it, but hey, it makes a better picture. It does always have water by it, for hydration is the key to life. If you know me/have seen my room, you know I'm obsessed with black and white photography; it's so much more emotional.


No comments:

Post a Comment