Friday, January 13, 2012

Anyone remember Crystal Pepsi?

TGIF, ey? I don't know about you guys, but I'm so ready for 5 of my friends to come over and have a slumber party tonight. Their moms are dropping them off after school, then we're going to play manhunt and throw the football before we watch Boy Meets World, Step by Step, and Family Matters back to back to back. My mom got us a bunch of Crystal Pepsi (the clear version circa 1992) and we're ordering some pizza. I hope my mom lets us stay up late playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Sega Genesis; I haven't been able to stay up past 10pm in a while.

Just kidding...I'll be waiting tables all night during Charleston Restaurant Week: the week that sales of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Sweet Tea rise about 12478392104%. Why is this? A ton of people make it out to restaurants during restaurant week because of the deal available. You can have 3 very nice courses at my restaurant for $20, so it attracts a plethora of people who wouldn't normally come in to the restaurant. It is honestly a great thing for restaurants around town because it does attract business during this supposed downtime after the holidays, but it is a totally different vibe as people are looking to come in, sit, eat for as cheap as possible, and leave basically as fast as possible. Hence the soft drink sales.

I wanted to come to the library and do work about as bad as I wanted to run suicides across the interstate all day, but a grande caffé latte temporarily upped my spirits and reminded me to get working, or else I'll be slinging sodas for much longer. I learned from a friend that the latte may be a good way to level out my caffeine intake without going overboard, for sometimes I feel as though I could explode with the amount of energy I have...very literally. However, today is not one of those days.

I spent the majority of the day so far answering emails and writing people back...the whole networking thing. One girl I emailed yesterday works for an ad agency up in the city and I'm really looking forward to hearing back from her. She is going to help me better understand what happens in an agency from the bottom up so that I can approach the search and application process in a much more educated and efficient manner. Since I don't know much about the in's and out's of everything, I personally feel like it would be a better idea to wait and apply for positions once I know exactly what I am applying for and why I would be so unbelievably awesome at it.

I've got a pretty neat idea for the blog that I'll be working on this weekend. Stay tuned and make sure you come back to check it out. May take several trials and a ton of editing, but I'm looking to make this idea tangible.

Observations and Thoughts from the 3rd Floor of the Library
A) I was thinking back yesterday to some grammar lessons from middle school (attempting to recall the proper use of the semicolon, seeing as I use them all the time) and started remembering my experiences from English classes throughout my life. I received failing grades on so many papers in high school it was unbelievable. The German exchange student consistently made better grades than me, much to the delight of most all of my friends (shout out to Anna-Sophie Schmitz). I vividly remember 2 teachers in 2 years calling me in after class demanding that I be tutored in writing because I clearly didn't understand it. Every teacher I had knew I was a math whiz, but I never understood why I was so unsuccessful with writing. I even rarely had points subtracted from my grades for grammatical errors. I wonder if my writing has really changed, or if the teachers were just too close minded to appreciate my writing.

B) It is really funny to see how people act. I was in Starbucks today waiting in line behind a girl who was all done up: bright red lipstick, eye-shadow, trendy clothes, and clearly ready to take on the world. The girl behind me was rocking Uggs, sweat pants, fleece jacket, wearing sunglasses indoors, and had hair reminding me of some combination of a pine cone, Ryan Cabrera (may your career rest in peace), and Sonic the Hedgehog. The girl in front of me looked so confident and was ready to take on the world whereas the girl behind me seemed like she was really ready to get her coffee so she could return to the cave she just came from. Obviously, I have no idea why these girls carried these appearances and I don't care, but it just reminded me how important appearance really is; if you feel like you look cool, you are cool. I have found myself dressing slightly nicer every day I come to the library to get this work done. I think it helps to look decently nice if you want to get work done. You are what you wear to a certain extent, I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment